Thursday, July 31, 2008

Hello All,

I have come to the mainland for a quick break from life on the island. I can tell you that I am healthy and happy and I will be ready to get back stateside when the time comes.

My work is moving along well.

But, wow I have been out of it. I have been in the middle of NOWHERE(for real this time). My life for the last 12 days has pretty much gone like this:

630 - wake up
700 - breakfast
730 - prepare my bags
800 - get on the Tak-Tak (makeshift car)
830 - Arrive at the Tidal Creek where Naucrates(Now-kra-tes) is doing its transects & species surveys
830 to 1200 - climb through mangroves
1200 - lunch
~1300 - return to climbing in mangroves
1600 - start walking home
1730 - arrive home & shower
1845 - electricity comes on in the village
1900 - dinner
2030 - return to home and furiously work on the computer until the electricity and the lights go out.
2200 - Sleep

Overall, a rough time but I have managed. My research is moving at a snail's pace. It is frustrating but I am going to have to adapt and just tough it out. I have returned to the mainland (to the land of electricity 24 hrs a day) and soon I will be returning to the island to complete my research(or get as far as possible B4 I run out of time).

I will tell you though. I love the island. This place is remote(for sure) but MAN I have never seen nature like this. Its remoteness seems to protect it from all the eye sores and pains-in-the-ass of common tourist traps. Its refreshing.

I believe in what Naucrates is doing. Their work is mainly conservation based. They are fighting an uphill battle and I hope that I can help them. There are plenty of interesting stories (I'm not sure there will be interestuing research but...) to tell you all.

My english is pretty rough right now as I have been hanging around Italians now for 10 days.

I do get to hang out with some cool people. I have really had the Tsunami-contact in the first degree while on the island because the people I was working with had all had friends and family killed by the Tsunami. Hearing their stories really make you shiver. Stories of Tsunami's chasing you up mountains, sweaping you out to sea tearing houses apart, 15m swells, people running around trying to help eachother and save themselves. It makes you appreciate those around you.

Love you all,
NICK

No comments: